Thursday, March 26, 2015

New Beginnings: Grass, Robins, and Work

Spring is springing, or trying to. We've seen temperatures touching 70 followed by teens the very next day. It is a typical mucky world outside. A few blades of green daring to pop up among the dead leftover straw. Snow one day, followed by rain, then cloudy days.

But the robins are back. The birds are singing, the planes are contrailing, and the air is wet and less cold.

This year I have time to "spring clean" like never before. I'm still unemployed, so I've had time to go through boxes and bins full of "somedays" and others filled with a blend of memories and what-is-this-supposed-to-be. I've found many treasures. I've sent boxes of books to people who were thrilled to get them. I've donated bags of clothing and other items. I have boxes of things to sell. But a large portion of the "giving" has been to the garbage man.

Keeping things is part of who I am. No, not like hoarding, not at all. It is hard to give away things that mean something special, that bring a smile, or that you know you will use again someday. Do I still have more than I need? Probably. However, I have the things that I want. I kept the things that make me happy when I see them. Some day they may no longer warm my heart. On that day they will go.

It has been a lot of work, and I still have more to do. I'm taking my time and being careful and thorough. I won't have as much time as I thought, though. I'll be visiting family soon, and when I get back I will once again have a part-time job. Part time is good. I can continue to sort through things as I sort through my life. Time management will matter a little more than it currently does.

Time for hibernating is over. Time to living is renewed.
Open a window. Go outside. Breathe.
Spring is here. No matter how cold it will be tonight.

Do you have a special tradition to help transition between seasons?
What are your secret tricks to make "spring cleaning" easier and more enjoyable?

How's your weather today? It's a rainy 43 as I type.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your part-time job - it will be good to work with you

    ReplyDelete