Thursday, May 16, 2013

Writing Circles


Earlier this year, I started a new writing group at one of the libraries where I work. I called it Writers’ Circle, but that was only going to be the name until the group decided on a new, original name. We came up with several really good names, but somehow, Writers’ Circle stuck.

It works. We sit in a circle…well, square really. We start with generalized life-sharing, read whatever piece/s of writing we will discuss, discuss it, and we come back around to generalized life-sharing as we prepare to head our separate ways.

Writing is a circular activity. You get an idea. It spins around in your head. You capture it on paper – or in a computer or other device. You read it. You re-write it. You re-write it again, as many times as it takes, until you are satisfied with it. You get an idea…

It is important for writers to have a safe place to spend time with other writers. It doesn’t matter if the writers in your group don’t write exactly the same kind of thing that you do. What matters is that they have a writer’s mind and soul. Writers are a special breed. If they are surrounded by non-writers, they can become frustrated and without the moral support that can only come from other writers, they could give up.

I have belonged to a variety of writing groups over the years. The first one was back in ninth grade. Two of my friends and I named our group “Pen, Paper, Pencil” or some variation of those three words. I don’t remember the exact order; it’s been a while since I was in ninth grade. Not too long ago, I found ALL of the stories we wrote. I don’t remember why I was chosen to keep them, and it is a miracle that they are still with me after almost four decades, especially considering that I lived overseas for all of the 1980s. I still have frequent contact with one of those friends. I need to reconnect to the other one, too.

The next writing group I was a part of met once a month in my neighbor’s house. I attended when I could, but when I got a full time job I had to miss many meetings. It has been a few years since I was able to go, but I will always feel that I am a member of the “Word Weavers” group. I had the chance to catch up with two other members a few weekends ago at a writing conference.

For a short time I attended another writing group that met at a library. It met at a time that was convenient for my work schedule, and occasionally I was able to go on a lunch break. I don’t remember if it had an official name, but after I moved away I had to stop going.

In my new hometown, I found a wonderful writing group at my local library. I am still a member and attend meetings when I don’t have to work during their scheduled sessions. (I have to work many evenings with my new job.) I will forever be thankful for this group. They are the first friends I made in my new town, and they truly made me feel welcome.

My newest group is the one I first mentioned. We meet every Tuesday evening. There are some people who are able to attend all of the meetings, some every other week, and others who can only be there once in a while. I am truly fortunate to have this group. The group provides solid support for its members. More experienced writers are able to offer constructive critique to newer writers, and the newer writers offer fresh energy and inspiration to us all.

It is wonderful to have so many writer friends, some I connect with online. The internet, email, and social media make it easier to maintain long distance friendships.

I will need to use old fashioned communication to reconnect to that one member of my first writing group. I haven’t seen her in a few years, but I have her address. I need to write to her. I think we should get the old group back together, probably not for the sake of writing…but for the sake of our friendship. 

After all, friendship is also a circle.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post Deb. I'm very happy I found the Tuesday Writers' Circle at the Library Place. It is a kind and supportive group. The energy I get when I spend time with other writers is invigorating and encourages me to "keep on keeping on" with my writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I could be a part of your circle, too!!! Such a great group of writers!

    ReplyDelete